Tuesday, March 31, 2009

feast of john donne

Wilson tells me that Eliot said of the difference between John Donne and Lancelot Andrewes: "Once John had been Jack; but Andrewes was always Lancelot." These days not every day is a good day to be an Anglican. Today is one of the better ones. Holy Sonnet xiv:

Batter my heart, three person'd God; for, you
As yet but knocke, breathe, shine, and seeke to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow mee, and bend
Your force, to breake, blowe, burn and make me new.
I, like an usurpt towne, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but Oh, to no end,
Reason your viceroy in mee, mee should defend,
But is captiv'd, and proves weake or untrue.
Yet dearely I love you, and would be loved faine,
But am betroth'd unto your enemie:
Divorce mee, untie, or breake that knot againe,
Take mee to you, imprison mee, for I
Except you enthrall mee, never shall be free,
Nor ever chast, except you ravish mee.