Howard and Millie are our neighbors on the other side of the block and are probably my best friends in the neighborhood. They are 89 and 88 respectively. We have several things in common but one is that we both stay home all day, so we have become fast friends. Phil met them first, when he was out on a walk with Mary Clare this summer. Howard could often be seen sitting on his front porch just watching the comings and goings. Since Mary Clare and I often walk (well, stroll) through the neighborhoods, we'd make regular visits to Howard and Millie and spend time getting to know one another (and lucky me, I'd always come home with a bag of fresh tomatoes from their garden). Now that it's chilly, we've moved our visits indoors and chat over lunch or a soda. It is becoming a weekly tradition and indeed a highlight of living here.
I've always felt it easy to connect with elderly folks - perhaps because more often than not they, like Phil and I, enjoy just sitting around and talking for hours. And indeed I've found a connection with my new neighbors. I'm fascinated and humbled to hear about their experiences of growing up during the depression, as I also am to hear Howard recount stories from his service in World War II. It makes me happy when they tell and re-tell me about how they met, their first date, special anniversaries (this year will be #65!), and their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. I laugh every time Howard tells me about how he charmed his way into becoming a Green Bay Packers season ticket holder on the 45 yard line.
When we moved here, I was so eager to meet other moms in the neighborhood, and praise the Lord I have met some! And they are good (and much needed) friends. But, I was surprised by how many elderly people there are in our neighborhood...and initially, I felt like Mary Clare and I had a mission to minister to and visit them. We are indeed called to do this...but, I have been surprised and blessed by the ministry that I have received especially from my friends Howard and Millie. With their age comes a wealth of wisdom, stories, and perspective that I can't receive anywhere else. I am deeply grateful for their friendship, and I believe that the feeling is mutual. Old people are such a gift to society and a heritage to their families - I have been blessed with holy grandparents and a loving friendship with them. And now, I am also blessed by my "adopted" grandparents as Howard says. Thanks be to God.