Sunday, November 29, 2009

Two seasons now upon us

The first (and most serious) is Advent, which marks the beginning of the new year in our church calendar. So, a happy new year to you (the little boys in church were very confused when Phil greeted them this way this morning)! I am grateful for the church calendar and its continual rhythm - the way it calls us into contemplation and draws us into the deep and beautiful mysteries of our faith in Jesus Christ. Advent is a most mysterious time as we remember the humble way in which our Lord first came to us - "now in flesh appearing" - and as we continue to wait for his glorious return. I believe I posted this poem by Madeleine L'Engle last year, but it's a favorite, so here it is again:

Come, Lord Jesus! Do I dare
Cry: Lord Jesus, quickly come!
Flash the lightning in the air,
Crash the thunder on my home!
Should I speak this aweful prayer?
Come, Lord Jesus, help me dare.

Come, Lord Jesus! You I call
To come (come soon!) are not the child
Who lay once in the manger stall,
Are not the infant meek and mild.
You come in judgment on our all:
Help me to know you, whom I call.

Come, Lord Jesus! Come this night
With your purging and your power,
For the earth is dark with blight
And in sin we run and cower
Before the splendid, raging sight
Of the breaking of the night.

Come, my Lord! Our darkness end!
Break the bonds of time and space.
All the powers of evil rend
By the radiance of your face.
The laughing stars with joy attend:
Come Lord Jesus! Be my end!

Now, the second season that is upon us (and by "us" I refer to our family) is FINALS. Yikes. This season comes twice a year and is never very welcome, but it nevertheless keeps coming. Alas, Phil has many pages to write and edit in the next two weeks, but by the grace of God, he always manages to get everything done (and done well). I now have a less serious poem to leave you with...by a less renown author...namely myself (Kendra, you should appreciate this attempt in remembrance of our poem/note writing days in jr. high):

Finals stink
They certainly do
I wish I could blink
And see them just shoo

But Phil must write
And write and write
And write and write
Oh what a plight!

But we'll make it though
Oh yes, we will
We always do
So go on Phil!!!!!!!
(wow, this is embarrassing, but it's the best I can do for the moment)